Vivid Colors are a stain type of color that sits on the surface of the hair, because of this they WILL fade. Fading can be noticed as soon as your first shampoo. Pastel Colors will have a shorter lifespan lasting anywhere from 1-10 shampoos. Deeper colors can last 10+ Shampoos. You may notice your vivids transfer to you hands when you touch your hair as well as other surfaces such as pillowcases. Just as they fade from your hair they should quickly wash off of other surfaces.
When we talk about the longevity of vivid colors there are a lot of factors involved in keeping your color as long lasting as possible. We recommend you follow as many of the following recommendations as possible.
- Wait at least 72 hours before you wash your new color.
- Wash your hair once a week in cool/tepid water with gentle non-vigorous shampooing at the scalp. (Most of our stylists with vivid color hair wash their hair once a week)
- We recommend you use a color protecting shampoo or a reparative shampoo combo. We recommend L'oreal Vitamino Color, Redken Color Extend Magnetics, or Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate (ABC)
- Chances are you hair has been decolorized (bleached) to achieve your color. Health hair will hold on to color longer, using pre-shampoo treatments such as Acidic Bonding Concentrate Intensive Treatment or Olaplex 3 will help restore your hair from within at a bond level. We also recommend using cuticle strenghtening treatments such as the Redken ABC Leave in or Redken Extreme Cica Cream to keep the surface of your hair shiny and protected.
- Heat will fade your haircolor which is why we recommend cool water. Hot tools such as blowdrying and ironing will also fade you color. It is essential that you use a heat protectant and use a lower heat setting to preform at-home styling. Redken Quick Blowout is a fan favorite as it has heat protection that will last through a blowdry to an iron, will cut your blowdry time in half, and smells great!
- Chlorine and excessive sun exposure will also speed up color fading. We recommend you avoid putting your hair in pools and wear hats outside.
Let us make you an at-home color bomb conditioner to help you refresh your color or recommend you a color-depositing shampoo for you as well!